Offensive operations and the deployment of armed troops by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) against the revolutionary mass base and NPA forces are continuous, widespread and massive despite the synchronized temporary ceasefire between the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) and the Government of the Philippines (GPH).
The continuous combat operations, positioning of troops, militarization and intensified intelligence operations in the countryside form part of the regime’s stepped-up counterrevolutionary offensive this year in line with the Oplan Bayanihan war of suppression.
Following are intial reports culled from various NPA commands:
- Since December, elements of the 57th and 40th IB have been scouring the villages of Old Balatukan, New Israel and Biangan in Makilala, North Cotabato. The AFP has also mounted two batteries of 105 mm howitzers against the Red fighters of NPA Fronts 51 and 72. The 10th ID has positioned three sections of soldiers in each barangay between Mapula and Barko-barko, Lumiad to Riverside and Pandaitan, all in Paquibato District, Davao City.
- The 10th ID set up checkpoints along all roads going to Paquibato District to stop visitors wishing to attend assemblies to celebrate the CPP anniversary on December 26.
- Elements of the 69th and 84th IB continue to terrorize residents of Purok Isled, Barangay Damilag, Calinan District, Davao City to force them to report on the whereabouts of local NPA units.
- The 74th IB arrested on December 21 five peasants in Mulanay, Quezon and accused them of being NPA members.
- Elements of the 302nd Brigade and local police arrested on December 25 Oligario Sebas in his house in Manjuyod, Negros Oriental. The military claims that Sebas is Felimon Mendrez, allegedly a high-ranking official of the revolutionary movement.
- The PNP-Cagayan Valley arrested on December 28 in Bagumbayan, Tuguegarao City Rene Esmondo Abiva, an officer of the Alliance of Concerned Teachers. The police likewise claims that he is a highly placed official of the revolutionary movement.
- On January 1, three platoons of the 84th IB entered Barangay Tambobong, Baguio District, Davao City and launched military operations in the area. Along with reinforcements that arrived on January 3, soldiers forced some 125 families to evacuate, ordered work at the plantations to stop and controlled the entry and exit of rice and other foodstuff in the area.
- Hours after December 16, the start of the ceasefire declared by the Aquino regime, a platoon from the 31st IB secretly entered Barangay Hamorawon, Bulan, Sorsogon. The soldiers combed through the forested uplands for days until they reached the boundaries of Bulan and Irosin towns before returning to their camp.
- The PNP Regional Public Safety Battalion (formerly the Regional Mobile Group or RMG) conducted combat operations in Barangay Macahoy, San Pascual, Masbate on December 24 and 25. On December 28, the troops raided the house of a peasant family in Barangay Mabini suspected of being active in the revolutionary movement.
- On December 23, PNP elements and 9th IB troops abducted in Milagros, Masbate City Olalio Gonzaga, 22, of Barangay Bolo, Masbate City and Noel Espinosa, 37, a village watchman from Barangay Miabas, Palanas, Masbate.
- On January 2, elements of the 2nd IB entered Barangay Sta. Cruz, Donsol, Sorsogon and launched combat operations against the NPA and the revolutionary masses in the area.
- Intelligence and psywar operations by the AFP’s so-called “peace and development teams” go on unabated in close to 40 barangays in the Bicol region.